Mental Health and Addiction
- Talking to Your Kids About Drug and Alcohol Abuse: The Ultimate Do’s and Don’ts Guide
- Intervention eBook: What to do if your child is drinking or using drugs
- Recovery Research Institute – Recovery 101
- Recovery Research Institute – Addiction 101
- How to Apply for Disability Benefits with Drug Addiction
Treatment & Support
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs-Mental Health Home Page Site for Veterans that includes special suicide prevention hotline information as well as links on other veterans specific mental health issues, such as post traumatic stress disorder.
- Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors The Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) provides a support network for the surviving families of those who have died in service to America. They have a small professional staff and a large national volunteer network. Includes links on suicide support and vet center counseling.
- Butler Hospital A non-profit psychiatric and substance abuse hospital affiliated with Brown University. Located on Blackstone Boulevard in Providence.
- The Kent Center A non-profit community based provider of mental health, substance abuse and educational services affiliated with Brown University. Located on Post Road in Warwick.
- Bradley Hospital Provides all levels of care for children facing emotional, mental and behavioral challenges.
- Fellowship Health Resources A nonprofit agency providing both clinical and support services to persons recovering from mental illness, co-occurring disorders, and other life challenges in the states of Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Delaware, Maine, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina.
- Gateway Healthcare A non-profit behavioral health care organization that provides a wide array of services to adults, children and families in Rhode Island. Includes information about Kid’s Link RI, an emergency hotline for children in emotional crisis.
- Riverwood Mental Health Services Provides community mental health services for persons who suffer from serious mental illnesses, primarily schizophrenia, bi-polar, and depressive disorders. Multi-faceted community service provider covering southeastern Rhode Island from Providence to Newport.
- Child and Adolescent Bipolar Foundation The Foundation educates families, professionals, and the public about pediatric bipolar disorder; connects families with resources and support ; advocates for affected families; and supports research on pediatric bipolar disorder and its cure. Includes support group information.
- Eating Disorder Referral and Information Center Provides information and treatment resources for all forms of eating disorders.
- Center for Mental Health Services-National Mental Health Information Center The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) National Mental Health Information Center provides information for users of mental health services and their families, the general public, policy makers, providers, and the media. Includes a Mental Health Services Locator to search for a variety of types of providers.
- Health Resources and Services Administration HRSA is the primary Federal agency focused on improving access to healthcare services for people who are uninsured, isolated or medically vulnerable.
- RI Department of Behavioral Healthcare, Developmental Disabilities, and Hospitals Promotes laws, policies and practices for psychiatric care and supports development of treatments for and research into causes of mental illnesses.
- RI Department of Health-Office of Health Professionals Regulation RI professional licensing arm covering Psychologists and Psychologist Trainees, Mental Health Counselors and Marriage and Family Therapists. Does not provide a list of licensed professionals but does list disciplinary actions and agency contact information.
- Mental Health America The country’s oldest and largest nonprofit organization addressing all aspects of mental health and mental illness.
- Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law Legal advocate for people with mental disabilities.
- Treatment Advocacy Center Promotes laws, policies and practices for psychiatric care and supports development of treatments for and research into causes of mental illnesses.
- RI Coalition for the Homeless Provides advocacy, education, collaboration, technical assistance, and selected direct services provided to homeless individuals and families, coalition members, elected officials, and the community at large.
- The Substance Use and Mental Health Leadership Council of RI
- National Institutes of Health Clinical Trials Provides regularly updated information about federally and privately supported clinical research in human volunteers.
- National Institute of Mental Health NIMH is the lead Federal agency for research on mental and behavioral disorders.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse NIDA is a Federal agency that supports and conducts research relating to drug abuse and addiction.
- National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression Mental Health Research Association NARSAD supports scientific research for treatment and prevention of mental illnesses. Includes an Infoline to answer basic questions about the symptoms, causes and treatments of psychiatric illnesses.
- Stanley Medical Research Institute A philanthropic organization supporting research on treatments and causes of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality AHRQ is a research agency focused on the healthcare system, what is should entail and how it can be improved.
Professional Medical Associations
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry A non-profit organization whose members actively research, evaluate, diagnose, and treat psychiatric disorders in children and adolescents. Includes a Psychiatrist finder link.
- American Association of Community Psychiatrists (AACP) Advocates for quality care in community settings.
- American Psychiatric Association (APA) A medical specialty society whose members specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional illnesses and substance use disorders.
- National Association of Psychiatric Health Systems (NAPHS) NAPHS advoates for healthcare systems that are committed to the delivery of responsive, accountable, and clinically effective treatment and prevention programs for children, adolescents, and adults with mental and substance use disorders.
- National Association of Social Workers – RI Advocates and provides professional training and public education for social workers and the individuals they serve.
- National Council for Community Behavioral Healthcare A not-for-profit association representing 1,300 organizations providing treatment and rehabilitation to help people recovering from mental illnesses and addiction disorders.